Born in Partick, Glasgow on 23 August 1926. Childhood spent mainly in Cambuslang and Dennistoun in Glasgow. Attended Hamilton Academy, followed by Whitehill Secondary School, Glasgow.


Oliver’s parents and maternal grandparents were evangelical Christians. They attended the Tabernacle (now Findlay Memorial Tabernacle), but during the war years often went to the services in Dennistoun Baptist Church.  Oliver and his younger brother, Gordon, went to Sunday School and Bible Class at Dennistoun.

On leaving school Oliver served in an accountancy firm. In 1944 he was ‘called up’ for army training and service. He was in the army for over three years, two of them spent in India.

Oliver’s commitment to Christ followed shortly after his return to civilian life. He soon gave voluntary Christian service by sharing his testimony at gospel tea meetings, by distributing tracts and by supporting the beach meetings of the Scottish Evangelistic Council at Saltcoats. It was through the last venture that he met his wife, Elizabeth (Betty), whom he married in 1954. They had two sons, Andrew and Tom. Oliver and Betty lived for quite some years in Saltcoats and were members of the Baptist church there.

Oliver began to sense a call to Baptist ministry. He applied to the Baptist Union of Scotland, duly appeared before the then Baptist Ministerial Recognition Committee, where his application was approved. His first church was Broxburn Baptist (1970-1975), his second was with Union Grove Baptist Church (now Aberdeen Christian Fellowship) in Aberdeen (1975 until retirement in 1991).

Upon retiring, Oliver and Betty returned to Saltcoats. After a period of time, they then moved their membership to Irvine Baptist Church, where Oliver became Secretary. Sadly, Betty passed away in 2009. Eventually Oliver found a retirement flat in Aberdeen so that he would be near his family. M

This was a good move for Oliver. His two sons, Andrew and Tom, were members of Gerrard Street Baptist Church and Oliver worshipped there also. Andrew and Tom have married Christian girls from Aberdeen (Brenda and Jill respectively). Oliver had five grandchildren and two great grandchildren. I am sure he was upheld by them all in his mature old age.

Oliver was fairly well until recently. He began, however, to have a succession of falls. He was admitted to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary and sent home after a few days. He required to be readmitted on 4th October and died the following day.

He will be much missed by all his family and friends.

Gordon W Martin