Assembly is, under Christ, the authoritative body of the Baptist Union of Scotland. It is held once a year at the end of October (although additional Assemblies can be called as necessary) in partnership with BMS World Mission.
Assembly is a coming together of the whole Scottish Baptist family, with every church having the opportunity to send delegates and their minister to celebrate, discuss and review our life together in an atmosphere of listening to God in and through each other.
Assembly has various responsibilities:
- it is a place where we endeavour to hear the voice of God for our churches and nation, seeking to have our vision lifted beyond our own congregations and contexts
- it is a place where key themes and questions are discerned for further consideration by our Council and National Team
- it is a place of telling stories of God with us, and of lessons learned along the way
- it is a point of accountability for the National Team, Task Groups and Council
- it is a place where Council members and Trustees are appointed
- it is a place where our National Team members, ministers and mission personnel are commissioned.
Roy Searle’s address to assembly 2016
We were blessed to have Revd. Roy Searle from Northumbria Community Trust with us at our assembly this year.
Below is the transcript from his address to the assembly along with a link to audio recordings of our keynote talks.
Assembly 15 Feedback
Assembly is a place where Scottish Baptist’s have been learning to listen to one another as we explore a variety of themes and seek to participate in communal discernment. This year’s feedback analysis has been compiled by Rev Stephen Younger, exploring the theme of “mind the gap” and our Union’s mission strategy.
Assembly is made up of all ministers listed in the Accredited List of the Union and those in pastoral charge of churches in membership of the Union, delegates from churches and colleges in membership with the Union and all members of Council.
You can find more information at our Assembly website below.
Assembly 2017 will take place on Thursday 26th & Friday 27th October, Motherwell Concert Hall